Systems Engineer (UNIX)
An initial six-month contract position available for a UNIX Systems Engineer.
This is a very technical, hands-on opportunity for an experienced Unix Systems Engineer to be part of the Core Unix Operations Support team responsible for maintaining the customer service level agreements with respect to the company’s hardware infrastructure, Operating Systems, Databases, Virtualization and Backup & Recovery strategies.
- The Systems Engineer will be required to take a high-level approach to both identifying, and permanently resolving recurring support issues as proactively as possible while maintaining excellent customer relationships and promoting a positive customer experience.
- The applicant will become involved in delivery of cutting-edge projects in the telecommunications industry and will assist within the team with the analysis and design of new and enhanced rollouts of the latest hardware, Operating System, and Database technologies.
- Implementation and Maintenance of existing and new monitoring and alerting tools to ensure our 24/7 standby personnel are informed of any alerts generated on customer sites.
- The role also requires the applicant to become part of the 24/7 standby roster within the team.
Key Performance Areas:
- Service Desk and SLA fulfilment: Maintain and resolve Service Desk tickets as per the designated priority assigned
- Time logging: Ensuring all work log detail and time spent reflects correctly
- Change control: Ensuring OSI change requests are submitted on time. Ensuring change work implementation is completed correctly and on time
- Projects: Ensuring project timelines are met
- Personal Development: Ongoing training and certifications to be completed as per Personal Development Plan
Qualifications and Experience
- Senior Certificate
- Relevant IT Qualifications (Diploma or Degree)
- IT Hardware certifications advantageous (server / storage / tape library)
- Unix administration experience advantageous (HP-UX / Solaris / AIX / Linux)
- Unix scripting experience advantageous (bash / Perl / python / etc)
- Knowledge of FC/SAN technologies advantageous (EMC / HP / IBM / ORACLE)
- Knowledge of backup technologies advantageous (Symantec / EMC / HP / ORACLE)
- A knowledge of relational database and stored procedures advantageous
- Oracle certifications advantageous
Key Competencies/ Skills:
- Interest in structured approaches to system configuration management
- Strong intellectual curiosity, motivation to advance in the profession
- Ability to communicate in non-technical terms to non-technical people
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Exposure to/understanding of GSM technologies
- Be able to work overtime and standby when required as per standby roster